Friday, May 18, 2012

Greens Speeds

The stimp meter...the worst invention ever created in my book.  The first thing I will mention is the fact that I will never lie about our green speeds.  Our greens are currently running slightly over 8.5 on the stimp.  They have been fluctuating from somewhere between 8 and 9.  While this isn't where I would like them to be, it is a very manageable speed for normal, everyday play.  I feel that this speed should definitely be acceptable considering the condition of the greens just five short months ago.  Currently, the first priority for our greens is health and the second is speed.  This is always a must when dealing with greens that have the amount of poa annua (annual bluegrass) that we have on our greens at Stillmeadow. Ultimately my goal for our greens and regular play is 10.  I can ensure you that based off the slope of the greens and a REAL stimp reading this should be fast enough for everyone.  I can also ensure that once the greens are healthy and covered with grass, I will always do the best I can to skate the line between health and speed.

Thanks for your patience,
Klint Ladd
Golf Course Superintendent